Walk in the footsteps of Romans along Stane Street which connected Londinium to Noviomagus (Chichester)! Enjoy stunning views from the top of Bignor Hill, looking down the Arun Valley and across the South Downs to Brighton and beyond.
* Stunning 360 degree views
* Choose from two easy walks
* In summer, the grassland is a carpet of wildflowers
* Later in the year cattle grazing reveals the raised causeway of a Roman
Bignor, Pulborough, West Sussex. Use postcode RH20 1PH
There are two walks to choose from, both are 3km (1.9 miles). One is circular, the other linear, and can therefore be shortened.
All day, every day
There are two walks to choose from (both are on chalk grassland paths):
1) Take the gentle ascent from the car park to the top of Bignor Hill for the best views (recommended). This short, linear route can be extended in several ways (see map).
2) Heading in the opposite direction (to walk 1), simply follow the pink waymarks for a circular walk around Glatting Beacon. Whilst offering good views in places, they are somewhat obstructed by woodland on the north side of the circuit.
Please keep dogs on a lead where grazing animals are present.
For Sat Nav use postcode RH20 1PH. With Bignor Roman Villa on your right, continue a further 0.2 miles. At the fork in the road, turn left (marked 'unsuitable for HGVs), then follow the road round to the left (passing in front of a house). Follow the single track road for 1.5 miles (climbing uphill) to reach the car park.