National Trust Christmas Trails In & Around Sussex
As I'm sure you're aware by now, we're big fans of the National Trust and make good use of our annual family membership - particularly in autumn/winter weather when we need easy, mud-free walks and cosy cafes to meet up with family and friends. We love that most NT properties and gardens offer themed trails too during school holidays which are great fun for children.
We wanted to help you enjoy the National Trust over the Christmas break too - so we've created a quick round-up of what they've got on for families in and around Sussex!
Percy the Park Keeper's Winter Wander Trail - Sat 4th Dec - Mon 3rd Jan
Explore the gardens whilst undertaking tasks, activities and games on this outdoor trail based on the popular Percy the Park Keeper tales by Nick Butterworth. How many animal friends will you meet along the way?
Cost: £2 per trail pack
Booking not required
The trail is taking place at the following National Trust properties/gardens
- Batemans (10:00-15:30, CLOSED 24 & 25 Dec)
- Nymans (10:00-16:00, CLOSED 24 & 25 Dec)
- Sheffield Park (10:00-15:00, CLOSED 24 & 25 Dec)
- Scotney Castle (10:00-16:00, CLOSED 24, 25 & 26th Dec). The house will be dressed for an Edwardian Christmas celebration (27th Nov-3rd Jan) and carol singing will be taking place in front of the house on Sunday 5th, Saturday 11th and Saturday 18th December at 11:30am and 2pm.
- Petworth House & Gardens (10:00-15:30, CLOSED 24 & 25 Dec). In addition to the outdoor trail, the house will be dressed to showcase Christmas traditions through time - including Georgian, Victorian, post-war & the future. Last entry to the house and garden is 3pm.
- Polesden Lacy (10:00-16:00, CLOSED 24 & 25 Dec). In addition to the outdoor trail, there is a festive animal spotting trail around the house. Please note, from 27th December the house will be closed on weekdays.
The Pyjama Thief Trail - Standen House & Garden - Sat 4th Dec - Sun 2nd Jan, 10:00-15:00
A four-legged thief has stolen the Beale family pyjamas and hidden them around the garden! Enjoy a walk around the grounds of this beautiful Arts and Crafts house on your search for the missing garments. Can you find them all?
Cost: £3 per child, including a small present.
Booking not required
Please note, some areas are muddy, so wear suitable shoes. The garden also has flight of steps and steep slopes.
In addition to the trail, Twilight opening will take place every weekend from 27 Nov plus Weds 22 & Thurs 23rd Dec. On these days the house will be open until 5.30pm to showcase the festive lights and a choir will be singing in the courtyard. Last entry to the house is 5pm.
Woodland creature Christmas trail - Knole House & Park - Mon 6th - Thurs 23rd December, 10:00-15:30.
Follow the clues on the trail around the historic parkland to find the Christmas deer.
Cost: £5, includes a luxury, cuddly prize.
Pre-booking is ESSENTIAL to guarantee entry
Knole house is also open over the festive period (it's normally closed for seasonal conservation) and will be dressed for Christmas. Enjoy carols in the Great Hall on Saturday 4, 11 & 18 December & Sunday 5 December, 1:30pm & 2:30pm.
There is no children's trail this holiday due to Glow Wild 2021 (evening lantern trail and light show; ticketed event). The gardens will be open as normal during the school holidays - pre-booking is encouraged to help reduce queues and keep visitors and staff safe.