Free Places to Visit in & Around Newhaven
Newhaven in East Sussex is a small town with a working ferry port, located on the coast between Seaford (4 miles) and Brighton (9 miles). Freight and passenger services run regularly to the French port of Dieppe.
Looking for free things to do with the family in and around Newhaven?
- Head to West Side Promenade (sat nav: BN9 9DN) for great views out to sea and to watch the ferries leaving/entering the port (car parking £2).
- Explore the remains of the 19th century mill village of Tidemills
- Discover nearby Big Park (6 mins by car) with its outstanding adventure playground made from natural materials
- Admire sweeping Seaford Bay, which stretches for over 2 miles and has plenty to entertain the family
- Go rockpooling in Rottingdean (13 min drive), followed by a walk, scoot or cycle along the Undercliff Path.
- Climb to the top of Mount Caburn (an Iron Age hill fort) and be rewarded with spectacular panoramic views.
- Visit the wonderful Seven Sisters Country Park, and take the family on the all-weather trail beside the meandering river Cuckmere.
Newhaven has a population of around 12,000. The town has excellent rail links with surrounding towns - Brighton (29 mins), Lewes (9 mins), Seaford (7 mins), Lewes (9 mins), Brighton (29 mins) and London (1hr 24 mins).
Did you know? I Spy Fun has hundreds of FREE family days out in Sussex! Discover great places to visit, things to do & family activities in and around Newhaven! For kids of all ages (even adults) I Spy Fun has Indoor and outdoor activities; many free attractions; wheelchair, pushchair, scooter, bike and dog friendly adventures too!