Free Places to Visit in & Around Hastings
The seaside resort of Hastings in East Sussex is located 17 miles to the east of Eastbourne. The wide seafront promenade is the perfect place for a walk, scoot or cycle. Visitors to the town should head to the iconic pier (restored after a serious fire in 2010) for a unique vantage point, then head in an easterly direction to discover the Old Town, with its winding streets and eclectic mix of independent shops.
Other free things to do in and around Hastings include:
- Explore enormous Alexandra Park - its water reservoirs provide a picturesque backdrop for a family stroll
- Discover the huge nature reserve at Hastings Country Park with simply stunning coastal views
- Head to beautiful Egerton Park (located just behind Bexhill seafront) with its brilliant play zone and wooden adventure playground
- Discover tree-climbing paradise and super-easy family walking trails at Highwoods
- Wander in the ancient woodlands at Brede High Woods
- Meet the animals at Sharnfold Farm - younger children in particular will enjoy the small farm trail
- Head to Bedgebury Pinetum for a fabulous all-day adventure. Navigate the Zog activity trail with its woodland obstacles and adventure play areas.
In addition, the brilliant medieval castle at Bodiam (24 mins drive away) is a super day out. National Trust Members get in free of charge!
Hastings has a population of around 93,000. Trains from the surrounding towns of Bexhill, Eastbourne and Rye take 9, 36 and 16 min respectively. Direct trains to London Bridge take 1hr 22 min.
Did you know? I Spy Fun has hundreds of FREE family days out in Sussex! Discover great places to visit, things to do & family activities in and around Hastings! For kids of all ages (even adults) I Spy Fun has Indoor and outdoor activities; many free attractions; wheelchair, pushchair, scooter, bike and dog friendly adventures too!