Free Places to Visit in & Around Littlehampton
The seaside resort of Littlehampton lies at the mouth of the River Arun, between the towns of Bognor Regis (7 miles) and Worthing (9 miles). Famous for its pleasure harbour with amusements and rides, there are plenty of free places to visit with the family in and around the town.
- Children of all ages (and adults!) will love crabbing from the harbour wall. Once you have the equipment (lines can be bought relatively cheaply from nearby shops) this is a completely free activity which can entertain kids for hours. We have it on good authority that pieces of bacon are the best bait!
- Older children will love the town's new state of the art skate park, on the seafront (opened Oct 19).
- Frolick on the sand dunes at West Beach! This lovely stretch of beach is backed by beautiful white dunes and is a Site of Special Scientific Interest.
- Discover the picture-perfect town of Arundel. Set high on a hill, the town is a popular tourist destination with its medieval castle and cathedral. It also has a very pretty boating lake (Swanbourne Lake) which is a great place to walk with the kids
- Younger children will love getting creative at Beach on the Beach - a huge sandpit and play park, located on the East Beach promenade in the neighbouring town of Bognor Regis. Only a short walk from stunning Hotham Park, with its Alice in Wonderland sculpture trail
- Explore Worthing seafront (20 min away) with its pier and themed seafront playgrounds
- Climb to the top of Cissbury Ring and spot wild ponies at the site of the largest Iron Age hill fort in Sussex.
Littlehampton has a population of around 30,000. There are direct train services from the town to Brighton (44 min), Worthing (22 min), Bognor Regis (21 min) and Chichester (17 min). Trains to the capital (London Victoria) take 1 hr 46 min.
Did you know? I Spy Fun has 100+ FREE family days out in Sussex!